I have found it quite easy to design in a USB serial port, and at low cost.
Several of my company's products use the FTDI MM232R module.  It's quite
flexible and clever.

For my XP and Vista machines, it was plug-n-play, and the device comes up as a
COM port, just as expected.  For other operating systems, like Linux and Mac OS
X, a quick driver install gets you the same results.

I am not affiliated with the manufacturer.

Steve KZ1X/4
owner of the world's most experienced Elecraft