With Elecraft now doing SMD I think it will be virtually impossible for Wayne et al not to design and build a small pocket-sized radio using surface-mount devices. Maybe a partial kit with factory-built circuits for the amps and oscillators, but user-built frequency-specific boards like the Sierra kit. Maybe handi-talkie sized and with user-selectable band boards....Maybe with the capacity to hold two, three, five or so band-specific boards... or just one board that can be built with tiny toroids(gotta give the toroids haters something to whine about...) and set up for just a few bands.

Like I said...I think it will happen, after a time... and the other products now in the works are out of the way...I don't think they can resist. After all, small radios and portable operation is a large part of the foundation of qrp operations. Although I have a KX1, I would be interested in a smaller more robust(enclosure) radio that could be slipped in the pocket and if my fat ass falls down hiking in the hills with it in said pocket...there is still some slim chance of it's survival...crush tested to 250 lbs!

Would like to see something other than an active-mixer design, although I know current considerations may get in the way of that, although new mixers are being developed all the time and will continue to be. Also, modern battery technology has progressed to the point that running post-mixer amps and other current-hungry circuitry may be possible now or fairly soon with a small package.

This is something I have been thinking about for some time... Over the winter I and another gentleman are planning on attempting to build some small 17 M SSB rigs...don't know how far that will get but with me and ham radio... it is the journey and not the destination...I like to tinker...

      Mike Fitz  N0MF