To my friends across the pond (and here in the states): My son and I are traveling to UK in mid-February to visit some family and see the country. Flying in to London, then heading north to Newcastle and points beyond, ending up in N. Scotland. Some of my ham buddies are encouraging me to take a rig and do some hamming to try and make some contacts back in the states. If I do, I will be taking my K2/100 for the job. I have some questions in this regard:

1) Do you think it will be more trouble than it is worth trying to get radio gear through security, customs, etc? I will have it secured in a Pelican type case with custom fit foam. Just don't want a hassle in trying to get it in and out of the country. 2) Suggestions for a nice portable 20a switching power supply? I am looking for a smaller unit I can include in the case with the radio. And it must have 110/220v power options. I saw an Alinco that seemed to fit the bill. I welcome your ideas. 3) What type of power plug adapter would I need to fit the receptacles in your fair land? 4) What antenna would you suggest . . . I am thinking about a 20 and/or 40 meter coax fed dipole. Again, open to suggestions. 5) Any licensing tips or suggestions? From what I read it appears there is a reciprocal agreement in place. I just need to make sure I have a my license and a copy of the agreement.

Sorry if an off topic post like this is inappropriate here. I do know there are a number of UK hams (and Elecraft brothers) on this reflector and thought they may have some helpful insight. As well as you yanks that have maybe already done some hamming from UK.

Thanks and 73,
Mike
N4JX

K1/4  #2319