To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 9:43 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] OK, Children - Listen Up!

A few of you have expressed grave disappointment that Elecraft has been
unable to predict future availability accurately. Some of you have even
suggested that this is part of some kind of nefarious plot. I assure you it is not. If you can not tolerate delays in the delivery of new technology, I
urge you to vote with your checkbooks. Simply refrain from ordering these
new products, cancel your delayed orders if you must and, above all, hold
your tongues. This reflector is sponsored by Elecraft as a forum for
exchange of hints and kinks and a channel for both formal and informal
support. I find it amazing that they have not yet chosen to make it a
moderated forum where someone can censor the cheap shots that have, frankly, gotten out of hand. My Mom taught me "If you can't say something nice, don't
say anything at all." Of course, that advice does not hold universally but
in a public forum like an email reflector it should be a cardinal rule. How
would you like it if someone posted billboards on your house announcing
every mistake you had ever made? What if some of them were inaccurate,
incorrect or marginally libelous?  One of my mentors in business, a highly
decorated entrepreneur, media pundit and investor, taught his people to
"Praise publicly, criticize privately." Please take that
advice.Thisreflector is one of the great things about Elecraft and I
urge you all to think
three times before posting criticisms: Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it
helpful? If the answer to any of these questions is "no" or "maybe," be a
decent human being, give them the benefit of the doubt and don't post it.
Send email directly to Elecraft instead. They will read it and respond
appropriately.

Elecraft is a company, a collection of imperfect individuals trying hard to do as a team what no one person could do alone. They make mistakes as we all do. I have never seen another company so willing to admit their mistakes and
inform their public. Yes, they have published some bad news. In fact, they
publish more bad news about product development delays than many companies
... because most companies don't publish bad news at all! Nor do they
provide a public forum where their failings can be discussed as easily as
their successes. I admire Elecraft and wish all my other vendors were as
candid. Heck, I wish any of my other vendors were as candid.

If you can't tolerate product delays, don't order new stuff. Don't order
anything unless it is available off the shelf. Given the vitriol of some on
this reflector, I should advise them never to order anything without a
signed, custom contract of performance. They won't get such a contract from
ham radio vendors but they won't be let down, either.

Elecraft has delivered a series of outstanding products and developed a
well-deserved reputation for technical excellence, product innovation and
the finest support in the amateur radio product business. The K3 is the best
radio I have ever used, right now and despite lacking a few promised
features. In fact, I was able to say that six months ago when it had far
more rough edges than remain today. I, too, pine for the sub-receiver. I
even sold my FT-1000MP to make room for the K3, knowing full well that until
the sub came out I was compromising my ability to work split-frequency DX
pileups. I can deal with that. If you can't, just wait.

But above all, please be civil. The Elecraft team are a handful of the
finest engineers, business people and human beings I have had the pleasure
to know. They do not always deliver their dreams on schedule but they
definitely do deliver and they deserve better treatment than some of you are
dishing out on this reflector which they sponsor. The majority of
contributors to the reflector make me proud to be a customer. The few whose whining, accusations and rants are spoiling this corner of our hobby make me ashamed of the low level of social training some of us received as children.
Please take your venom elsewhere.

Now, can we return to our regularly scheduled programming of Elecraft
product questions and answers, hints and kinks and general good will?

Thanks and 73,

/Rick N6XI