Dick Dievendorff wrote:

> The Windows K3 Utility, like many Windows programs that obtain the
> machine's
> inventory of serial ports, enumerates the registry values under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM.

Yep, that's the way I did it, too. That registry key does not exist under
wine, and attempts to manually create it result in an error message.

If, in the upcoming revision, you could make it possible for the user who
knows best to type in the port name, it would enable your utility to be
tried out under wine. It may or may not work, but I don't personally see why
there should be a problem. If it does work, it could actually be useful to
someone running a version of Linux that is not compatible with the native
updater. It's ironic, but sometimes it's easier to get Windows software
working on Linux than to resolve all the dependencies needed by the native
Linux version...

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com