I apologize if this ends up as a duplicate posting

----- Original Message ----- From: Ken Kopp To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net Sent: Saturday, 09 February, 2008 19:52
Subject: OT - Battery ratings

The "real" AH ratings for batteries ... the kind we're referring to
in this topic ... are difficult to learn.  Most automotive-related
ratings are specified in"cranking amperes", and this is -not- the
rating that of interest here.  It's consumer hype.

I'm retired from an electric utility's communications department
where we used various typed of LARGE battery banks. Our microwave stations all had "large" battery banks. Few realize that substation's relays and/or switching is done with 120 VDC. (They gotta function when the power's off.) Ditto for telephone systems at 48 VDC. A source of battery info ... in general ... can be found on the Trojan Battery site.

I have an RV with 440 AH of Trojan batteries, a wind generator and
12A of solar panels on the roof, BTW.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
or