To: "DW Holtman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:19 AM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] UNPCBs

Hello DW,

There are a few people who are making things for the K2 that are
not provided by Elecraft that provide additional capabilities and
convenience - these are individuals, like Gary Hvizdak, Don Wilhelm,
Mike Phipps and Jack Smith, who don't sell a lot of their products and
don't make any significant profit from them either. You'll see them post
information about their products to the reflector, and occasionally, as
in Gary's case, send e-mail directly to someone who has just ordered a
K2 and not burden the entire list.

My K2 was built with Gary's UNPCBs, and now includes Don's fixed
audio output board (which he no longer as available but may be picked up
by Tom Hammond, N0SS), and which, among other things, I use to drive
Jack Smith's Z100 tuning indicator.

There are obviously differing opinions about the usefulness of
the UNPCBs. Don Wilhelm, who is a very experienced builder (and an
invaluable resource to all of us - he's helped me solve a number of
problems with my K2), has no problems removing and replacing components
- but some of us do. Even if you've ordered all of the K2 options you're
ever likely to install, you still need to build the basic K2 first and
calibrate and test it before adding the options. That means removing and
replacing components. I built by K2 with the UNPCBs several years ago
and then added options one at a time over the last few years. For me,
adding options were then really just plug-and-play, and I avoided the
dreaded "unsoldering and replacing components". The UNPCBs had another
advantage when my K2 developed a problem that required the removal of
several of the options to trace down - all I had to do was plug the
UNPCBs back in, in place of the removed options. Without them, I would
have had to again unsolder, remove and replace some components. Don does
raise a good point with the UNPCBs in that installing the K60XV UNPCB
may cause calibration problems (if I did, I wasn't aware of it and my K2
seemed to work fine). But there appear to be no issues with the
remaining UNPCBs.

Bob W1SRB