Bill, NY9H wrote:

a $1.59 electret mic element from radio shack works GREAT with all my icoms
and my K2s and K3.

-----------------------------------

Yes, those Radio Shack electret elements are excellent. I have one mounted
in an scavenged hand-held mic housing that works FB. The element has a very
wide frequency response, since it's designed for general purpose audio work,
but that's not a problem with modern rigs with filters such as the K2 or K3.

Back in the "old days" of vacuum tube A.M. rigs, the modulators tended to
"broad as a barn", passing all audio put into them with only minimal shaping
provided by the values used for coupling and bypass capacitors in the speech
amplifier stages.

There were some microphones produced for the "communications" market back
then such as the famous Astatic D-104 which had a microphone element with a
shaped response showing a distinct hump around 3 kHz, rolling off slowly at
lower frequencies and somewhat faster at higher frequencies. That hump
helped with "articulation" by emphasizing the mid-range speech frequencies.
Astatic even published a frequency response chart showing exactly what it
looked like, but back in those days most microphone element manufacturers
provided frequency response charts with their various mics.

I don't know if anyone is doing that today for mainstream communications
microphones. Even the "high end" Ham mics only offer general and
uninformative comments about "shaping" and "clarity" that say much and
convey little. Interestingly, one of the big exceptions is the inexpensive
little Radio Shack electret element. It comes with a frequency response
chart showing a very flat response across the audio spectrum.

But all is not lost: the SSB filters in modern rigs prevent excessive audio
band passes and the K3 goes farther yet, offering a transmit equalizer with
which one can shape the audio response to suit one's voice. When doing that,
it's good to start with a wide range "flat" microphone element response like
the Radio Shack electret.

I rather expect, although they don't say as far as I can see, the "high end"
Ham mic manufacturers are using elements with a flat response and perhaps
doing some sort of shaping in design of the enclosure. If so, then choosing
a Ham mic today is really a matter of cosmetics: choosing what looks "nice".

Another list member here asked what, exactly, is the best response to
provide the best intelligibility under all conditions and how can that be
seen unambiguously on a display like spectrogram?

That's a good question. Sometimes we get too many choices. I'm happy to
record my rig using a wide-band auxiliary receiver and adjust the equalizer
for a sound that I'd like to hear from the other end in a rag chew. But then
I don't spend long hours yelling into the mic in a contest or trying to
shout down the others in a DX pileup ;-)

Ron AC7AC