Agreed... You only get so much "area under the curve" so why waste it with
width when its height that gets you heard?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:29 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: Re: [Elecraft] Microphones (was electronic product standards)

> I've heard it said that some contest stations deliberately transmit
> a wider-than-necessary signal to keep competitiors away from
> "their" channel.

I personally would not intentionally transmit a "wide" signal during a
contest. It would, imho, be counterproductive, apart from any other
reasons.

On the small 40m band in Europe, during large contests, you almost can
not avoid stations sitting on top of each other and/or overlapping.
Even if I assume that there were no BC stations between 7100kHz and
7200kHz and that a channel is only 2.5kHz wide, between 7040kHz and
7200kHz one only has space for 63 running stations without any
conflicts arising, or using the older limits of 7040kHz to 7100kHz
space for 23 SSB signals. Here there will always be a certain amount
of elbowing going on. If one considers all the high powered phase
noise being radiated and so on, then even a 9+20 signal can be a weak
signal when compared to "40m contest noise" levels. And finding gaps
between stations can be a real art.

This is why you want to have a signal with a very high average power
level, but one which is also not wider than necessary.

vy 73 de toby