David wrote:
In the UK, and I suspect most countries, such traffic handling was
illegal (recently there are some relaxations) on the basis that it
undermined the businesses of the telephone companies and commercial
users of radio.

---------------------

Forgive my "US-centric" view David. It is also my understanding that the USA
was a bit out-of-the-ordinary in the fact that traffic handling has been
encouraged throughout the history of Amateur Radio here. After all, that was
why Maxim and his colleagues formed the American Radio *Relay* League back
before WWI when the maximum range of most stations was a few hundred miles
at best, so a network of stations was needed to pass traffic across the
continent.

In the USA, commercial messaging companies complained but WWI put an end to
that. The large number of trained, ready-to-go operators that were available
when the USA entered the war brought recognition from the President of the
USA on down.

However, the US rules also strictly forbade any amateur traffic containing
business or other important communications that would normally be handled by
a commercial carrier. Obviously, that has resulted in a lot of discussion
and litigation ever since, but the training of skilled telegraphers and
message handlers was a recognized cornerstone in the justification for the
hobby here. Much positive publicity occurred around Amateur traffic
handling, such as the famous example in 1921 when ARRL member stations on
the east coast accepted a message for a recipient on the west coast. It was
sent, delivered, and a reply returned to the sending station on the east
coast in at total of 6-1/2 minutes for the complete exchange! That was the
stuff of headlines in a day when the fastest traffic system most people knew
about was an expensive telegram that might take hours to go across the
country. Amateurs gained a great deal of favorable publicity and recognition
by demonstrating public officials could communicate quickly and efficiently
through the Amateur network if needed.

Right along with that came the work of Amateurs in emergency communications,
providing first-ever inside information about disasters with requests for
specific aid and the first "health and welfare" messages telling those
outside the area the status of their friends and relatives.

By the time I joined the hobby in the 1950's, there were a large number of
experienced Hams who believed that the only real justification for their
license was to build and maintain a station that was very reliable and
efficient, and to maintain an strict, regular schedule of checking into
daily traffic nets. Their dedication to handling traffic was at least as
great as any radiosport enthusiast's dedication to scoring in a contest
today.

My point was that there has always been, in the USA at least, a large number
of Hams whose primary interest is in setting up and operating the best
station they can afford. As others point out, American Hams must still know
how to properly operate and adjust their equipment to ensure they meet FCC
regulations. The current license exams focus largely on testing this
knowledge. I suspect that's true world-wide. But many Hams care little about
what goes on "under the hood" of their rigs beyond the end results in making
contacts, nor do they need to for their purposes.

In my view, they are as much Hams as those, like myself, whose primary
interest is in designing and building communications equipment. And I
heartily agree with you about keeping and protecting that privilege to build
our own gear. As more and more Hams are less interested in building, it's
important we not lose sight of the fact that much useful and important
technical experience is gained by Hams who do tinker with their gear, and we
contribute significantly to the communications art.

Ron AC7AC