Bud:

I've seen the advice, and it's all excellent, but for someone new to the art, it might still sound just a bit intimidating ("remember to do this, don't forget to do that"), so I'll offer my 2 cents just to try and make it a bit worse!

Remember that it's only mysterious until you've actually wound your first toroid. After that, it's all mostly downhill (with the wind at your back, usually)!

Remember that you're going to get a (typically) excellent manual from Elecraft that goes out of its way to show you pictures and give lots of good advice when you need it--at the moment you're winding the first toroid. I've done lots and lots of toroids, and I still was impressed with the graphics, winding instructions and lead dressing advice that's in the manual. So, don't be afraid to try--they're really not hard at all, just new to someone that's never done one before. In fact, one could say that they're no harder than winding any inductor, and in some ways quite a bit easier.

If you try your first one, and you're still not sure if it's right, take a quickie digital picture of your finished toroid, and email it to either Elecraft's great tech support folks or here on the reflector (just don't send big attachements if you can avoid it). Then ask, "Hey, how does this one look?" Guaranteed you'll have lots of seasoned eyes looking over your shoulder.

Don't be afraid to try. Oh, and did I forget to mention that I ordered my recent K2 toroid set from Mychael, the coil guy!? He's quick (had them in 3 days from across the country), not too expensive, and his toroids look great. Hey, I already know how to wind 'em. Don't need more practice ;-)

It cut a couple of hours off of my build time.

73,

Dave K7DAA

http://www.k7daa.com