>To arbitrarily dismiss this test as non-representative smacks of a
>troll.

No it doesn't.  This is exactly the reason why the ARRL buys a rig and
doesn't accept product from manufacturers to test.  If you know what is
going to be tested for you can make sure to tweak and tune for those specs
and/or even worse you can make non representative samples.

When I was working in the car audio industry we used to read reviews all the
time about amps that measured out at whatever power.  Then we'd buy one and
find out that it only did 70% of what the magazine reviewed it to do.  After
calling the magazine and asking them about their test methods we got to
talking and they tore the amp apart and found out that the amp they had and
the one we had was loaded with different output FETs.

Did Eric and Wayne do this?  I highly doubt it!  But did they make sure that
the thing was tweaked and tuned as well as they would have their own
personal rig?  You bet they did!  Did they do a better job than joe blow
who's putting together the kit?  Probably a lil because they probably have
access to better equipment and they know and the tips and tricks to eek out
every bit of performance.  Are we talking much?  No probably less than a dB
of difference between the unit but its still slightly different than just
coming from the hands of the owner directly.  That's all he was saying.  He
wasn't dismissing it just slightly questioning it.  Then in the same breath
said it was a fantastic radio!