Brett:

There are several sensible reasons why a DX station works spilt. When he makes a call he is likely to receive several (often many) simultaneous replies, commonly called a pileup.

By asking callers to call "UP" (you almost never hear "DOWN"), the callers are spread out over a range of frequencies rather than all calling on one frequency. This increases the likelihood that the DX can quickly pull out a recognizable callsign from the cacophony.

Just as important, if the DX does not work split, everyone is making repeated calls on his frequency and most callers will not hear when he actually does reply to someone. Thus, many callers will unintentionally interfere with a QSO that they do not realize is already under way. Also, with many callers on the DX station's frequency, it is hard (if not impossible) to hear any instructions from the DX station (e.g, Wait 5 minutes while I refuel the generator.).

If you are working split and QSK, you can recognize immediately when the DX is answering someone else, and then stop calling until that QSO is finished.

It is critical that the DX station transmit on a clear frequency if he/she wants to control the pileup. They cannot maintain control if nobody can hear their instructions over the QRM. Thus, I have no sympathy for DX stations that run simplex and are not able to control the pileup.

It is also critical that nobody else call on the DX stations transmit frequency. The "tuner uppers", the lids who ignore the "UP" instruction and call simplex, and most especially the "UP police" simply impede the orderly operation of the pileup. Of all these bad actors, the "UP police" are by far the worst.

When you are on an "empty" frequency and you suddenly hear 10 (only 10?) stations all "light up" at once, you are undoubtedly hearing the reply end of a pileup.

There is no advantage to the DX station to run full duplex. He has no need to hear what is happening on his transmit frequency. The worst thing he can do is to reply to someone calling on his frequency. This rewards bad behavior on the part of the lids, attracts a bunch of other callers to his transmit frequency, and consequently destroys the advantage that the DX had achieved by getting the callers to work split to begin with.

Split operation is one of those counter-intuitive things. It only seems to waste bandwidth. A well run split pileup (such as any operation run by G3TXF) will rapidly and efficiently provide a great many contacts in a minimal amount of operating time. Think of the product of occupied bandwidth multiplied by operating time required to work a given number of contacts. Split operation will consistently produce a much smaller bandwidth-time product than a simplex operation. Considering that a major DXpedition makes between 30,000 and 100,000 contacts, that efficiency is critical.

There is no commonly accepted split frequency. Many DX stations will suggest an approximate split (e.g. VP6DX most commonly says UP 25.) There is a great advantage if you can switch VFOs rapidly and listen as the DX works a number of stations. The good DX stations will use a unique but recognizable pattern is selecting frequencies to listen to. If you can figure out the pattern, you can easily land on a frequency on which he is listening, but nobody else is transmitting. In which case, you get an easy QSO with a rare station. If you're having trouble figuring out where he is listening, call up the Telnet spots on a computer (any logging program makes this easy to do.). Many successful operators will post the spilts on which they successfully worked the DX.

73,

Steve Kercel
AA4AK