> is this just broadband hash
>in my urban neighbourhood from er, broadband and wall warts etc?
Yes, also known as frying bacon/eggs, atmospheric qrn, call it what you will.

The cure is a separate receiving antenna. For a fairly convincing demonstration
of the Wellbrook 1530
loop in action on 160 listen to this
http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/G0BDE/

Personally I have never found any NR implementation (from any manufacturer) to
be very effective on
audio signals and completely agree with Shaun's comment
>one of the things with noise
>reduction I've found is that it tends to detract some from the original
>quality of the audio you're trying to weed out from all that noise as
>well and in many cases, apply too much and everything's in the mud.
>audio and all.

What you really need is a method of identifying the actual ssb speech waveform,
extracting the noise
from it leaving the signal in the clear. There is a company in Germany that
produces an outboard unit
that I find very effective without the degradation in the audio. Audio demo
here
http://www.home.vrweb.de/michels/sound_demo.htm

I use a pair of their DX-21 kit modules and feed the left/right stereo output
into each one so I get
independent NR control of each channel.
There is an Eham review here  http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/43017

By using a pair I also retain the audio fx and binaural I-Q.
You would need to contact the company about the availability of the DX21
modules as I see they are no
longer shown on the site.

I find the combination of a receiving antenna (I use a rotatable 1530 loop) and
the outboard noise
reduction very effective on 80/160 grey line SSB weak signal work for instance.

Anyway, something to think about.

73 to all
Trevor  G0KTN