Have a look at the "SMD Doofus" on Jim Larsen's (AL7FS) web site. This is an easy to make tool for holding surface mount devices in place while soldering. Several different pictures on the page show the doofus in use while working on a SMD kit. The version I built, shown on the web site, uses a brass holder that accepts toothpicks or whatever you want for a hold-down. Your version can be much simpler, as explained on the site. (I just wanted to play with my machine tools!) The pictures say it all. Materials needed - Basic version: 1 steel wire coat hanger, 3 each 1-oz fishing weights. For the fancy version, add: 1-pc. brass or aluminum rod, 3/8" dia. 5/8" long, 1 toothpick, 2 each 4-40 x 1/8" set screws.

http://www.al7fs.us/AL7FS5ATSprint2.html

- Jim, KL7CC

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:

Sarah K. [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Friday, February 29, 2008 at 7:20 PM

The other tool I use a lot is a pair of bent-nose locking tweezers
that I got from Micro-Mark. They're actually to big for any of the
really tiny parts, but in a lot of cases I can use them to clamp down
a SMD resistor or capacitor.

Beware of bent-nose locking tweezers! They can be excellent SMD launchers given the chance :-)

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD