Jim:

Yes, I "discovered" the exact same thing, even though this is clearly
spelled out in the manual.

My suggestion:

Rather than "dialing in" the split freq on 40m, do this:

Switch to VFO B (vfo A/B button) and then ENTER the discrete frequency
using the keypad.  I think you will find that for the majority of the
cases, this is simply WAY faster than dialing it in.

This is old news in terms of approach.  Way back when (20 years ago?)
when we were using TS940's at a multi-multi, we had two rigs per band.
 The guy next to me wanted to "dial in" the split qrg and complained
about.  I simply did the keypad thing...and I beat him there every
time...with room to spare.  It just just much, much faster than
dialing in, unless the "new" QRG you're going to is just a few kc away
from the last split QRG.

Yes, it is true that you "stop hearing" the DX while you do this, but
so what.  The important measurement is TOTAL TIME to be ready to call
him - and it really serves no purpose to continue to hear the other
guy if you can't call him any way (cuz ur not on his listening QRG
yet).

To be honest, during this weekend, I have been playing with the
coarse/non-coarse button and "dialing in" just to see how it plays
(I'm still learning the radio in terms of optimal efficiency for MY
style of operation...and I'm not afraid to try different things).
Actually, pushing the button to get to coarse, then dialing in, and
then hitting  the button again (to get back to non-coarse) doesn't
take that much time.  What DOES take time is then dialing in the last
couple kc when back on non-coarse.  Direct keypad entry is really the
only way to go for top efficiency.

And I am NOT calling the button "coarse/fine" because we sure do NOT
want to be in FINE MODE (1 HZ steps).  :-)

Give it a try!

de Doug KR2Q