To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 8:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Excellent External Speaker for K2

Hi Jim, I'm using a Kenwood SP-230 speaker with my K2. It also has the audio filters and does a great job with the K2.

Gary, N7HTS
Jim K4ZMV wrote:
After replacing the phone jack on my K2, I have been searching for a really good external speaker. One that allows me to use my headphones and mute the speaker when doing so. Well, I had an old Kenwood SP-180 speaker that I had replaced a bad speaker in with a 4 ohm speaker designed for Collins. This
particular equipment has audio filters and accepts a 1/4 inch stereo
headphone jack. I cleaned it up and it has been in line now for over an hour. The audio filters really help with CW in QRN and smooth out really strong signals that otherwise had a harsh note as they were tuned across. P49V is on 40 meters and is about 40 over S9 and is smooth as silk. The 1/4
inch headphone jack will help, too, as that is what is on the K3 I have
ordered (due in early July).

I just wanted to pass this along as one can find the old Kenwood speakers
for nearly nothing online or at hamfests and they will help K2 audio.

73,  Jim, K4ZMV