-----Original Message-----
Looking back, the HD-1410 by Heathkit (and perhaps the Curtis 8044
chips) probably did more to launch the popularity of iambic CW than all
other products combined.
Pauil, W9AC
-----------------------

My first run as a Novice was straight key only.  No elmer, no help, no
guidance.  1977.  In 1983 I got back into it and bought an HD-1410.  I
learned left handed squeeze keying in a matter of a few days and never
looked back.

Now, 30+ years later (can it really be that long?) I've returned to the
straight key as my preferred sending device.  It is harder to use.  It
takes more work to generate good code.  It has brought back the joy of
CW for me as I'm no longer sending sterile auto-generated CW, but rather
am sending a little piece of myself with each dit or dah.  The Kent
paddles are packed away (the mic is who knows where) and the operating
desk has a nice straight key and a very nice bug.

And real soon now, it will have a K3 ... :-)

- Keith N1AS -
- K2 5411.ssb.100 -
- K3 Wave 3 -