K3 #250 arrived after I had requested a delay due to my being away from QTH until this past Thursday....Quickly got all set up and plug into 40m dipole at friend's house in FL. Using club call W4YY, 1st qso was barefoot to E74IW which is new ITU prefix assigned to previous T9...had great fun playing with differnt knobs and referencing the manual....next morning, up early and got T80W also on 40cw...heard him say qsy to 60m channel and lo and behold, I could hear him calling CQ USA, wow! Never heard dx on 60m before...unfortunately, rig did not come with ordered ATU so not able to attempt qso. BARG rtty contest was on so waaay cool to see the print out via TEXT DEC. Mostly used the speaker which sounded 'strong'; did notice some distortion when very loud signals were blasting thru but fixed when turned down the volumne. Friend had Heil ProSet headphones and noticed significant reduction in volume when those were plugged in...had to really crank up the AF to get decent copy...must be very different impedance? All together, very satisfying experience. Would still like to see some sort of "primer" on the operating of the "shift-lo-cut-hi-width" knobs. Be great to hear from those who have tinkered with different settings and can recommend different configs for different condx, i.e., 160m weak sig, cw contest, ssb contest and general ragchew...(N6XI, W4ZV, you guys have some suggestions?) Now, back in CX land so will be on in WPX ssb this weekend, barefoot to vertical dipoles and centerfed zepp/ladderline. Big test will be in May WPX cw contest with amp/tower and 3 ele Steppir.
73
Tom
CX7TT