I've been fairly amazed at the ability of the built-in tuner.  I've been
playing with some indoor aerials fed straight from the PL259 with ladder line,
no balun, no additional matching units, straight to the strange aerials I am
playing with.  This pays no regard for fields induced nearby or other emc
issues, but it works a lot better than I anticipated.  I am also upstairs away
from real ground with no separate earth and an isolated dc supply.  It's a
temporary arrangement until I get myself properly set up, but amazing results.
Running 100W into a *very* short end-loaded dipole.  Worked ssb into Germany
from York UK last Sunday afternoon, first shout.  He had a delta loop which I
suspect did most of the work, but my antenna tuned up just fine.  I also have a
very low (10 to 15ft) 176ft doublet which it *tunes* from 160 to 10.  Sometimes
I tap the tune button twice to get finer tuning.

I normally advise that the feed to an antenna should be away from the house, in
which case the external tuner would be the way to go to avoid emc problems
within the house.

David
G3UNA
K3 #547