Roger
Thanks for your reply
I first learned the code in the navy in 1952, but didn't become a ham until
1973. I worked in
law enforcement for ten years, then became a railroad locomotive engineer
for 30 years.
My ham shack is on the second floor of our home and one afternoon last
summer I
heard what sounded like a bomb go off just above the roof of the house. I
had received
a lighening strike on my tower which is about two feet from the house. I
didn't know a
storm was in the area so everything was still hooked up.
The strike came in on the coaxial cable to the K2 and it exploded. I had
such a power
surge that everything in the house that was plugged in was burned up. When I
put up
the tower I put the bottom about six inches below the concrete pad for a
ground. I think
that took most of the strike to ground, or the house may have burned up.
I have built another K2 and hope it has a longer life!!!
73
Scott
N5SM