Ken,

I'm going to say what a lot of people are thinking but to polite to express.

I like your suggestion.  After all the prime focus of the K3 design is
amateur band, CW,SSB, and digital modes. Having high performance for these
modes is its selling point.  Asking it to "do everything" on all frequencies
detracts from efforts to optimize its primary functions.

In almost 50 years,  I've heard maybe 1 amateur FM station operating.
Yeah, there may be a few more but it hardly constitutes a majority mode.
Are there really so many ham AM ops?

Sure people are free to buy anything they want.   Their choice.  However,
what they do buy may not be optimum for their needs.

I think Elecraft is doing an amazing job at meeting the needs of their
owners.  However, even they have limits.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Shane,

You could consider buying a used Drake R8 on eBay -- In my opinion it is a
fantastic general coverage receiver with sync dedtection and great sound.
You might be able to pick one up for about the cost of a K3 subreceiver
option!  73 de Ken - N4OI / K1