I'm guessing here - but - it sounds like you might have the "bias" turned on
to the K3 mic connector.  Heil HC-4 elements do NOT require bias and putting
bias on them will usually (have to file the "usually" caveat here as there
may be some strange wiring involved) prevent them from working!

Let's try this:

1.  Tap - Menu (the display will "probably" show a number "6" on the upper
line and "LCD BRT" on the lower line - at least mine always seems to come up
that way if enough time has gone by since I used it last).  Regardless of
what the display "defaults" to, after you have tapped "Menu" do the
following:

2.  Rotate VFO B knob to until you see: MIC SEL on the LOWER line.  The
UPPER line will display the current mic settings:

3.  If the UPPER line shows something like:  FP.H(or L) followed by a space
and then the word "bias" you have the bias turned on for the mic input
selected (either FP for Front or RP for rear).

4.  If the word "bias" shows up, then you do indeed have the bias turned on.

5.  If the bias is turned on, then TAP the REV button (it has a red #2 in
small print under it) once and the word "bias" will disappear.

NOTE:  The REV button alternately turns the bias to the mic connector on and
off.

6.  If the top line now shows something like "FP.H" with nothing following
it, you have selected the Front panel mic input (the FP) and have selected
"high" gain ( the "H").  You can change from H to L by tapping the A/B
button (it has a small red #1) under it.

On my both my HC-4 and HC-5 elements, I use the "H" setting and adjust the
MIC gain accordingly.

If the "bias" is not turned on, then all the above is not going to solve
your problem.  If this is true, the 8 pin plug on your mic is likely wired
in some strange way.

Please give it a go and report back.

As usual, YMMV.  Have fun - ' 73 es gud dxing -- Don N4HH  K3 #83