-----Mensagem original-----
De: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] nome de Stewart Baker
Enviada em: terça-feira, 29 de abril de 2008 13:53
Para: David Yarnes; Mike Penkas; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Assunto: Re: [Elecraft] K3 low PEP Power on SSB

The real key is using an external audio generator into the mic
input and seeing what comes out the other end using an
oscilloscope. This removes all the issues with microphones and
their setup.

I agree that antenna matching can make quite a difference to the
results, that is why I took the time to build an accurate dummy
load consisting of 30 1.5k 2W 1% tolerance metal film resistors.

Measuring the load on a VNA (Vector Network Analyser) shows worst
case 1-30 MHz VSWR as 1.05. So that should be good enough.

In real terms the variations seen in the Peak SSB TX signal are
insignificant at the other end of a QSO, however if my old TS850S
can get it right, I expect the same from my new K3.

Y.M.M.V

73
Stewart G3RXQ
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:37:37 -0700, David Yarnes wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been watching this thread and wondering if there truly is a
problem.
> It seems to suggest there is, and Elecraft says they are looking
into it
> with a firmware update pending.  But I can't help thinking that
there are so
> many reasons why the problem could just possibly be in the
setup.  The
> variation in reports seems to suggest this could also be an
issue.  For one
> thing, if the antenna isn't correctly matched, I would think
there would be
> some foldback.  But if you are getting full output on CW, you
should get
> that on SSB as well.  But full output on SSB isn't that easy to
observe.
> You may well be getting full output on SSB, but your meter won't
necessarily
> disclose that.  This has been pointed out before.  I also wonder
if the
> microphone settings are correct.  You may think some microphone
gain
> setting, 10 for example, is sufficient, but just possibly it
needs 12 or 15?
> Just a thought.
>
> Another thing could be the microphone itself.  In Mike's
situation
> (discussed by him below) for example, he indicates that he took
a stock
> microphone from his Kenwood TS-2000 and hooked it up.  I assume
he is
> assuming that there is total compatibility with Kenwood
microphones.  I
> don't know if that microphone is an electret, but if it is, I'm
not sure it
> really is totally compatible.  The standard Kenwood wiring has
the 8 volts
> or so on a different pin than the Elecraft uses.  I think the
Kenwood is pin
> 5, and the Elecraft is pin 6--or maybe I have that backwards.
 But there is
> a difference.
>
> I'm only suggesting these things as a possibility--for all I
know everyone
> has fully considered all these issues and dealt with them
correctly.   In my
> case, I am using the Elecraft Pro Headset (electret) via the
back
> connectors.  As far as I can tell, I'm getting full output on
SSB.  The only
> exception to that seems to be on the higher portion of 40
meters, where I
> don't seem to be able to get quite 1:1 through the tuner.  My
antenna is set
> for the CW portion, and so I get about 1.3 to 1 up near the high
end.  It
> seems my SSB output is down somewhat when I operate there, but
only
> slightly.  This is based on the RF output indication on the K3
itself.  I
> may be making an erroneous assumption, but I attribute that to
not being
> exactly matched.  My reports, though, are good.
>
> Dave W7AQK

connected