Bob,

I don't think your concerns are warranted. The LCD is an array of  transistor
switches which affect the transmission of light by polarizing effects  of
their electrostatic field. The actual light is provided by backlighting from
light emitting diodes which are well known for their longevity.

The Day mode will shut off the LED backlights on the LCD, but unfortunately
it also ups the level of brightness for the LEDs on the controls. That would
seem to be a simple fix in the firmware.

Al WA6VNN

In a message dated 4/27/2008 7:06:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,