The broken wire on the toroid seems to be a common problem. Are steps being taken to add some support for this component during shipping?
Jim K4JAF

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay Bromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 1:49 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 #850 is alive

Well K3 #850 is alive and well. Only two problems, KBPF3 filter PCB had L18 snapped off and one lead was cut. So I unsoldered the remaining lead, rewound it, resoldered it to the board, and installed the board at the same time as the KPA3. The other problem was a small scratch on the bottom back cover, which I am sure they will replace. I am not worried about that at all.

All the stuff I was worried about like Anderson Power Pole plugs, rattling headphone washers, turned out to be no big deal. Yes I had to redo some steps if I wasn't looking ahead. As I was assembling the front panel I notice their was some room that would cause the headphone washer to rattle, however if you gently push in on the front panel while tightening up the headphone nut with my fingers it took up all the slack. This pressure keeps the headphone nut from backing out.

It took me a day to build the rig, a day to finish up the loose ends and do the cals, install the PA, redo the BPF toriod. I took my time and enjoyed the experience over the weekend while attending to call outs from work.

I sent one email to Elecraft tech support today about the KBPF3's toriod, not really expecting a reply until Monday. WoW right in the middle of all this software upgrade stuff, I got an email from Wayne. Thanks Wayne for taking the time to answer my questions on how to get L18 going again.

First contact as a QRP rig was KA8CPO on 40m CW, second contact was with G3LNP on 40m SSB running 100 watts into my inverted Delta loop.
The K3 is a very good experience so far!

Order it on 11/27/07
Estimated delivery mid February
Got Katigram on 04/25/08
Received it on 05/0208

I almost want to sell it and order up another one. Building and messing with this little rig a ton of fun! Maybe later, time to get on the air with this one! :-)

73 de jay/w5jay..