Bruce, the Orion II audio distortion problem is well known and is the
reason I actually prefer the Orion I running the old v1 firmware
(which won't run on the Orion II).  The AGC on the v1 Orion acts more
like the K3 and never distorts.

As far as your K3 comments:

The latest K3 firmware provides me with very loud sidetone when
cranked up to 60.  Perhaps you are running older firmware.

Turn up your config AGC SLP setting to 15 and it will eliminate the
audio variation between different signal strengths.

73,
Barry N1EU