> Are there any contest logging programs out that support the
> internal keyer on the K3? This seems the ideal way to go,
> just one more serial command that has to be coded to go to
> the radio.

None of the three most commonly used contest logging programs
support the KY command.  All three authors/developer groups
have investigated the KY command and rejected supporting it.
The issues are: 1) KY is not universally supported - it is
only useful with K2, K3 and some Kenwood transceivers.  2)
once a message has been sent to the radio it is not possible
to edit it (call corrections).  3) buffer management is very
difficult - it is not possible for the logging program to know
when a message has completed in order to implement timed delays
(or repeating messages) with a known time between the end of the
message and start of the repeat.

> 2) Buy an external box like WinKey to interface to the rig.
> Why spend money on that? It's only doing stuff that the rig
> already does!

WinKey is by far the most flexible and programmer friendly
solution available.  It is "universal" in that it can be
applied to any radio.  It generates CW with very tight timing
and it provides very good handles for the programmer to
integrate it with his software (including buffer management,
editing and status tools).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV