WPX contest with K3/Acom 1000 and 3 ele Steppir @ 40ft.....a lot of fun although condx were pretty poor here in the 'southern cone' for a little pistol station. Mi amigo, CX6VM aka CW5W, did very FB job from his nice contest station about 400km from here. I listened to his pileup several times and he was working Qs that were ESP here...but then he has tall towers and big iron..."Congrats, Jorge". The K3 was a pleasure to operate in this contest. I generally did S&P as I could not get anything going with Cqing...the exception was Sat afternoon when had very nice EU pileup on 10m then later 15m. About the RIT...I dont particularly care for using the RIT when running a pileup...my preference is work split. The K3 was very easy to do this with: A>B, Split, then call CQ...that way I can use the big knob to fine tune the callers which are off frequency (happens a lot).

My request for firmware change is to have a method to "Lock" VFO B so I dont 'bump' the knob and lose my pileup. How about when "Split" activated, "Lock" applies to VFO B?

A "tip of the cap" to Windy, KM5Q (I think it was you) who suggested using CWT to fine tune the RF gain control...worked super! Major 'Ah-Ha'. There were times when PRE not needed at all and others when PRE with RF gain backed off made the difference in working guys or not.

No AGC issue here with strong stations as the 1 skip zone falls in PY land...the very few Monster stations were easily taken out with the DSP...I have the 1.8, 500 and 250 roofing filters.

Finally, I also have a Orion II and can do A/B test between the two rigs....cw is not even close...although the O II is a fine rig, there is an annoying hiss which is much louder than the background noise of the K3; have to almost constantly move the RFGain control to stay on top of that with the O II....the NR is STILL a work in progress w/TenTec...way too much distortion at even a "2" rating. With the K3, I never use NR on cw as the DSP does FB job. The O II is fatiguing to listen too compared to the K3. OTOH, I do like the SSB sound of the O II better...it seems much 'fuller' than the K3. Not that important to me as I do not do much SSB. I probably need to delve into the K3 RX equal settings and play with that...anybody got recommended RX settings for SSB?

73
Tom
CX7TT
K3 #250