To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Memories - Band changing etc.

Bill Coleman  N2BC wrote:

I miss dedicated band buttons even though my main rig has been a K2 for
the last couple years.  Using the "Quick Memories" and M1..M4 work quite
well though.

But (you knew this was coming), the very thing that makes the "Quick
Memory" function handy can also be its downfall. Try as I might to be
careful, I continue to clobber the memory by pressing V>M in error.
Because the 00 - 09 locations are "Quick Memories" they are overwritten
immediately when the numeric keypad entry is pressed.

I just discovered a new way to abuse the K3 using this system. I programmed
my Quick Memories to take me to frequencies in the CW part of each band,
then M1 - M4 to take me to different parts of the band.

So after pressing M>V, 5 to take me to 15m (CW) I pressed M>V, M3 to go to a different part of the band. Only either I didn't press M>V hard enough so it
didn't register, or I had a senior moment and didn't press it at all, so I
transmitted the programmed contents of memory 3 at 100W into an untuned
antenna.

If you use the message memories then there is a risk of accidentally
transmitting their contents if you are using the same buttons as per-band
memories as well.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com