> If you plan on a bit more digital work I strongly suggest an
> external USB or Firewire soundcard. Laptops often have a rotten
> soundcard, an external card can be amazing.

I hate to disagree with Simon but I do want to answer the old
wives' tale about internal sound cards and laptops ...

The issue with internal soundcards - both desktop and laptop is
much more one of sensitivity than internal noise.  Many amateur
transceivers have severely limited audio levels from their
"line level" outputs - in some cases it can be as little as
50 mV (-25 dBu) at 10k Ohms.  This is generally insufficient
when driving the "600 Ohm" inputs of most soundcards.

The problem with low input levels is that many inexpensive
laptop and internal sound systems may have noise floors as
high as -30 to -40 dBu due to poor bypassing and grounding
of signals within the computer.  If such a soundcard is used
with low drive and poor connections that result in external
bum/buzz, the results will be poor.

Fortunately, the K3 has plenty of drive and due to its ability
to produce more than 1 volt RMS output is more than capable
of obtaining excellent results with even a very noisy soundcard.

One only need adjust the K3's Line Out level until the "no
signal" noise from the K3 raises the noise floor as seen on
a spectrum (not waterfall) display by 6 - 10 dB.  This will
provide nearly 40 dB of dynamic range from even a "noisy"
soundcard system.  The situation is far different with one
of the radios that provides only 50 to 100 mV.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV