GW0ETF wrote:

> Finally I got round to checking the wattmeter calibration as I've felt
> it's been giving out power levels below what the wattmeter on the front
> panel reports ever since I've had it.
>
> First alerted when my Acom 1000 seemed to giving low output until I saw
> the amp's input reporting a significantly lower driving power eg 35w as
> against a K3 setting of 45w into a dummy load. Also 2 independant power
> meters seemed to agree even though admittedly they weren't lab standard.
>
> So I did the configuration while measuring voltage across a dummy load
> with my 40MHz 'scope and found I needed to wind the <WMTR HP> setting way
> down to minimum (010) to get the power up to 50 watts on the 'scope (and
> yes I did remember the RMS to peak conversion ;-). Seeing that the default
> setting is 100 I thought I might ask others what setting seems to be the
> norm.
>
> Needless to say I've not noticed anything odd about running 80 or 85 watts
> instead of 100 these past few months but (wrong) numbers do have a habit
> of bugging you eventually....

I was a bit worried about doing this setting as I didn't have any accurately
calibrated wattmeter other than my home made QRP ones. In the end I used my
DL1 module. It didn't seem to mind handling 50W for the few seconds needed
to get the reading on my voltmeter. I think the lowest I needed to wind the
setting down to was somewhere in the 70s. If I'd had to go down as low as 10
I would have worried that there was something wrong with my calculations.

-----
Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
KComm for K2/K3: www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html