> RTTY was based upon the frequency
> of Mark (2125) and Space (2295) and the surplus military
> equipment available, unless you could afford some of the high
> dollar HAL equipment (which was also used by the military).

No, RTTY is always "Shift low" - that is Mark is the HIGHER
RF frequency and space is the LOWER RF frequency.  When the
audio tones 2215 and 2295 are applied to a LSB transmitter
in AFSK this results in the correct shift.

> I have no idea what the protocol is for DATA (perhaps Elecraft
> can tell us.)  As an experiment, try switching rigs in MixW and
> observe what is happening to the signal frequency.

FSK D and AFSK A receive in LSB while PSK D and DATA A receive in
USB for compatibility with the (backward) convention of most non-
RTTY software writers (PSK32, MFSK, etc.).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV