Bob you need an Elecraft interface from MFJ... The Kenwood signalling is specific to Kenwood. That's an issue for MFJ!

I sometimes use an MFJ 993 with my K3, I have the K3 "TUNE" power level set at 9 Watts which is fine for a steady carrier to prompt the MFJ into tuning up. The reason for using an external tuner is when I have more than one rig on the bench connected via an antenna switch, the K3's ATU is superior to the MFJ and doesn't freeze on some bands like the MFJ.

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80

Does anyone have experience with the K3 and MFJ 998 Auto Ant Tuner. This
would apply primarily to the use of an external HF Amplifier, since the
K3 is equipped with an excellent low power tuner. MFJ supports cabling
for the Kenwood AT-300 Radio Interface. Is this compatible with the K3
interface.

Thanks,
Bob w4rkn