Hi, Joe!

"Access denied" here typically means that another program (perhaps the K3
Utility) has the COM port in question open.  You need to stop the other
program's use of the COM port.  Close the other program.

If you can't find the "other program", log off and log on from your Windows
XP/Vista USERID (or reboot), which ends all the programs started under your
userID.  With Windows 98 I'd reboot if I couldn't find and end the program
that holds the contested resource (the COM port).

There are some advanced Windows "snoop" tools to determine what program
holds what resources (see SysInternals), but usually it's pretty easy to
figure out who has the COM port - it's a program you started.

The K3 Utility finds the K3 at any of the K3's supported baud rates. When
after firmware loading is complete. There are some circumstances (described
in the Troubleshooting section of K3 Utility Help) where the speed is left
at 38,400.  If the baud rate isn't what some other program like HRD expects,
I'd expect a different error than "Access Denied".  Simon will know for
sure.

You can use the K3 Utility's "Test Communication" function on the Port tab
to find out what baud rate the K3 is currently set to.  You can also use the
K3's CONFIG:RS232 menu to get the same information.

The K3's RS-232 speed can be set from the K3's CONFIG:RS232 menu, or by
entering a "br" command from the K3 Utility.  Details are in K3 Utility Help
under the Troubleshooting topic "Loading Firmware Changes the RS-232 Speed".

73 de Dick, K6KR