On Jul 9, 2008, at 6:41 PM, Leigh L. Klotz, Jr. wrote:

Is this to minimize a constant frequency shift between TX and RX....

It's to ensure *no* frequency shift between the two (just in -S mode), which minimizes T/R delays because we don't have to switch crystal filters.

AMTOR and related modes can also be used without engaging SYNC DATA, assuming a suitable value of CONFIG:PLL RLS is set up. I'll expand on this topic in an application note when I get a chance.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

wayne burdick wrote:
MCU 2.15 / DSP 1.84, 7-8-08
* SYNC DATA: Selecting sync data or ā€œ-Sā€ now ensures that the
same crystal filter will be used for both RX and TX -- either 2.7 or 2.8 kHz. (Sync data mode, enabled by assigning PF1 or PF2 to CONFIG:SYNC DT, can be used to minimize the error rate of AMTOR, PACTOR, ARQ, and similar modes.) While -S is in effect, the receive crystal filter cannot be changed with XFIL, and SHIFT/LOCUT/HICUT are unavailable. WIDTH can still be changed,
  but it will affect only the DSP IF, not the crystal filter. The RX
and TX first I.F.s will thus remain identical, a requirement for -S operation.

---

http://www.elecraft.com