Hi Brian and all. I have an old pair of Kenwood HS5 headphones and plugged them in to my factory assembled K3 after donning them. Had to back the AF gain back by about 10% for comfortable listening. I have a question that someone out there with an Elecraft/Heil MD2 mic may be able to help with. I bought it second hand and the previous owner had re-wired to suit Icom. I now wish to use it on my K3 and would like to get the wire color code or find out which color wire the +8v goes to. I e-mailed Heil but they can't or won't tell me. Can any one with an MD2 give me the pin outs by color pllease? John Cl;are VK1CJ. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Alsop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 audio output v headphone sensitiviy

From the K3 manual page 20
"Sterero or Mono 16 ohm min. recommended"

32 ohm earphones are quite common. Not surprising 16 ohms is the paralleled configuration of the two 32 ohm individual ear sides for mono.

I first ran into 32 ohm earphones for an FT1000MP.

73 de Brian/K3KO

WILLIS COOKE wrote:

I have not heard of 32 ohm impedance headphones.  The
DC resistance is not the impedance, but a 600 ohm pair
might have 32 ohms resistance measured with an ohm
meter.  Of course, I don't know what the British
military used.  The US used 600 ohm.

Measuring several headsets resistance of the headsets
in my shack shows all kinds of resistances.  Some
Realistic (Radio Shack) stereo 8 ohms show 9 ohms with
the stereo speakers wired in parallel.  A Sony Walkman
stereo headset measures 30 ohms on each speaker.  A
Heil BM10 measures 32 ohms for each speaker.  A Heil
Pro-Set shows 215 Ohms on each speaker.  A Telex Model
A610-1 Military Surplus mono headset labeled 600 ohms
measures 285 ohms.  A Telex A1210 mono headset to FAA
Spec TSO C57 measures 615 ohms.  All of them work OK
with my TS-850 without major audio gain adjustments
from the speaker.

Cookie, K5EWJ
--- David Cutter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

They are 32ohm: don't know if the ear pieces are
wired in series or parallel.  Didn't observe the manufacturer, but I'll
get back to them in a couple of days and let you know.

David
G3UNA

----- Original Message ----- From: "WILLIS COOKE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>