Sorry, but I'm not sure I agree. By that definition many radios since the 80s would be SDRs.

My definition of an SDR is a radio that could be radically changed in functionality by a software change. Perhaps the K3 fits that definition with firmware changes. But does the K3 modulate or demodulate a signal using analog or digital techniques. I am ignorant about the K3's architecture.

For example, early SSB rigs used a balanced modulator that nulled the carrier. Then a filter selected LSB or USB. I think true SDR would do that entirely in software. How does the K3 generate SSB?

OK, I am biased. I am a FLEX-5000A owner. That said, I'd love to have a K3, but it is beyond me financially right now. I love my K2/100 because it is NOT tied to a PC for basic operation. I plan to keep both radios. I'd also accept a K3/100 as charitable contribution, hi hi!

73,

Steve N6VL
K2/100 #2289

Lyle Johnson wrote:
So if one owns a K3, does that match your concept (or the ARRL's) of
an SDR?  How would YOU answer?

It is IMHO.

SDR means software defined, and the K3 is defined by software. Whatever gets through the roofing filter is handled by DSP in transmit and receive.

This is quite different from PC-based, or open source, which is what some folks seem to mean when by SDR.

Frankly, most HF radios introduced in the 21st century are SDR, and many in the 90's. If it is IF (not AF) DSP, it is probably SDR.

How does the ARRL define SDR?

73,

Lyle KK7P