Hi Bud,
I dont like using the RIT when running stations as it is easy for me to grab the wrong knob...VFO B instead of RIT or, if I forgot to engage the RIT and promptly QSY myself away from my own pileup! Here is what I do and it works pretty slick in the contest....
A>B; Hold B SET; Hold Lock; tap B  SET again and now VFO B is locked....
OK, so now I start tuning up the band...S & P until I find clear freq....call CQ and if I get an answer...A>B; Hold SPLIT....now my transmit freq is locked into VFO B and VFO A becomes RIT...if you see a packet spot...and click on it to qsy, it drops the split op but VFO B still locked...work the new guy...back to original run freq and Hold SPLIT and off I go again with my run freq....it worked really slick during the IARU last weekend where I worked 986 Qs, with slightly more on SSB than CW...
Hope this works for your style of ops
73
Tom
CX7TT aka K6CT (N6CW buddy)