To the issue,

I would think that the hardware AGC intercept (and doing the mod) should
strictly be a performance issue set by Elecraft for engineering reasons, and
that the neat *option* to do S-meter calibration would be to set S9 and the
other major points (S1/3/5/7 and +20/40/60) by raising or lowering
calibrated signal with attenuator and let the firmware map it.  <Yeah, yeah,
I know, put it on the list...>

As to ...

"Mine is like that and I don't appreciate it very much."

I think Elecraft is putting out an affordable breakthrough product, AND
amazingly managing to refine it further as they go.

In the past I've had to put up with a truculent company who insists their
engineers are gods and never make mistakes, and fixes mistakes in firmware
under cover of darkness in the next "improved design" five years later and
then charges new equipment prices plus for it.

On the other hand, I've watched Elecraft evolve a portable QRP rig (K2) into
a contest-worthy DSP rig that you can put a battery into and carry around,
tromping receiver performance of rigs costing ten times as much. And then
leverage that experience into a rig (K3) that has knocked every other
manufacturer on their butt.

In this and other postings, we all need to remember that what Wayne &
company are being whipped for daily is to put the boxes in shipment.  AND
that there is hardly anything else like the K3 around.  Everyone has the
choice to put their money with TenTec, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc. if they want to.
Don't like the neighborhood?  Move.

I notice that the few K3's posted for sale on this list sold VERY fast at
asking price.

73, Guy
K2 #1239
K3 #1239