Dan's comment is very true of *any* antenna, and most especially tree
mounted antennas.

To survive storms at all, it's very important that the antenna wire or
the halyards *never* fall under strain from the tree as it moves in the
wind. Even small trees can exert tons of pressure on the wire or
halyard.

I have an Inverted L with the end attached about 50 feet up in a 60 foot
high Spruce tree.

Two counterweight systems maintain sufficient tension on the antenna to
keep it in place while allowing the anchor point in the tree to move at
least 15 feet in high winds. One counterweight allows the main antenna
end guy rope to change length as needed as the tree moves and the other
allows the back stay that loops over the tree to move independently.

The counterweights need to be heavy enough to hold the antenna, but not
heavier than needed for that. When trees whip in the winds, the inertia
of the counterweights can produce shock loads many, many times greater
than the weights themselves for a brief moment until the weights begin
to move. The heavier the counterweight, the greater its inertia and the
shock load.

My antenna survived two storms with hurricane-force 100+ MPH winds last
winter, although the antenna counterweight did move almost its full
travel as the tree swayed more than 10 feet at the 50-foot level. This
summer I adjusted the system to allow more movement.

Even so, the system needs to come down every couple of years to be
inspected for chafing of the lines and to move the lines somewhat if you
don't want them to damage the tree.

Dan's suggestion is an excellent one. No sense in starting from scratch
if the worst does happen! A few feet of extra line can make all the
difference in the world. If we humans have learned anything at all, it's
that anything human kind can erect nature can knock down!

Ron AC7AC