I've been very happy with the AGC-NR on the K3, so turning off AGC is
starting to become a last resort for me. And the configurable AGC
parameters give you a lot of options, not "one AGC fits all". (I do
adjust the RF gain even with AGC on.)

I also give signal reports corresponding to the s-meter reading. This
is convenient with the K3's absolute meter mode (doesn't matter
whether attenuator or preamp is on). It's just for my own interest,
comparing signal strengths at the antenna terminals. Can't see why I
wouldn't want to record them as long as I'm going to the trouble of
making RST notations anyway.

73,
Drew
AF2Z