Gary and all,

I'm in the same boat! But I think it's simply the fact that on most other radios a clockwise turn increases selectivity--makes the filter narrower. The way the K3 does it makes sense when you think about it, but nonetheless, it is contrary to what we have been used to doing with other radios. To that end I guess Wayne set this control up in a way that is counterintuitive, but only if you have been trained (as apparently many of us have) to think the other way. I guess I'll adapt (eventually), but it's a bit surprising how difficult it has been to get there. The older I get, the harder it seems to be to reprogram my brain!

Dave W7AQK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Bartlett VE1RGB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 7:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] ON4UN has a K3?

I have been noting with great interest the comments about which way to rotate the WIDTH control to narrow the filters. Logic may tell you that clockwise should be wider, but some other instinctive force greater than that always wants me to turn it clockwise to go narrow. Everyone up here who uses my K3 says the same thing.

At first I thought this was maybe just a Canuck thing and I was too embarrassed to speak about it. Then I wondered if it was my advancing age, and I didn't want to talk about that either. Today, however, I am comforted to know that I/we are not alone.

Now if Wayne would only reprogram the rig so that VOX would default to OFF on shut-down, I wouldn't have to concern myself about trying to remember to turn VOX off myself so that the rig does not actually transmit during the booting of the attached computer and again when the logging program starts on next turn-on of the rig.

   73,
   Gary, VE1RGB, K3 #095