Randy,

Do you find this with or without a 50 ohm dummy load connected in place of an antenna?

If without a load connected, does the noise level on 10m and 12m drop if you connect a 50 ohm load or 47 ohm resistor in place of the antenna, and can you see / hear any difference in the noise level on any of the other bands?

If you had a load connected try disconnecting the load without connecting the antenna's feeder. Does this have any efffect on the noise level on any band?

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Randy Downs wrote on Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Anybody have more noise on 10 and 12 meters than the other bands? My K3 s/n 1194 with no ant. hooked up and the 200 amp breaker tuned off and running on a gel cell has an S2 to S4 noise on 10 and 12 all of the time. S0 to S1 on the other bands. I also get "static crash" noises intermittently on these bands. I live 1/2 mile from anyone else and have no such noises on my other rigs with or without the ant. hooked to them. I believe I have a problem with the K3. It does it worse when I first turn it on and then quiets down somewhat. Sometimes it works perfectly.
Randy
K8RDD