Jon,

Yes, you solder them on the back. That is an acceptable way of mounting components, and in some cases (not this instance) provides better RF performance than thru-hole mounting - you will find an instance where that mounting is used for better performance on the RF board in the PLL area. This keying waveform change was introduced after the new board layout at SN 3000. Do not use a 'blob' of solder (as you stated), use a controlled amount that has been properly heated. You are soldering two things to the solder pad. It will hold securely if done right. If the component drifts around, tack one lead with solder, then you can manipulate the other lead and do a good solder connection - after that go back and work with the first lead to get it well soldered.

Note: If your soldering already looks like blobs that are convex on the surface, you are using too much solder and likely are not heating the connections adequately. A good solder connection should have a convex surface with the solder flowing to a thin, almost invisible edge at both the component lead and the solder pad. Use of a small diameter solder allows one to control the amount applied easily. I recommend .020 or .015 for that reason. With large diameter solder, often by the time it melts, there is already too much on the connection. If you do have 'blobs' of solder, I urge you to go back now and wick away the excess and re-flow the solder to assure each connection has been properly heated. The most common reason for failure is a bad solder connection, so it is important.

73,
Don W3FPR

Jon Perelstein wrote:
My question de jour.
Page21 of the manual (rev G) is the Key Shaping Components. How exactly do I mount them? The holes of the pads to which they are mounted are already filled with other components (Q8, R21 and U8). Do I just drop a blob of solder on the surface of each pad and hope that the components hold? That seems kind of kludgy relative to the normal quality of Elecraft's engineering. Jon
KB1QBZ