"... It's a little more subtle than a continuous buzzing along with the tones of CW. Sort of a scratchy sound. I thought it was in the audio, but no, it's gone when I use headphones
or an external speaker..."

I had this same problem on my K3. Headphones and an external speaker both sounded good. It turns out that the K3 speaker was bad. Take your cover loose and hold it above the K3 while still listening to the speaker. If it is still buzzy/scratchy, then the speaker is bad. Elecraft replaced the speaker and everything sounds great.

Phil - AD5X