Jim:

Very interesting discussion. For those of us who are mostly data mode and CW operators and might make a handful of SSB contacts in a good year, how should we go about adjusting the transmit frequency shaping parameters? What do we measure and what do we tweak?

At one extreme would be adjust until it sounds good, but that rubs against my analytical side. Looking at the audio output in monitor mode with a spectrum analyzer misses parts of the audio chain ahead of the transceiver.

Ultimately, of course, some "make it sound good" tweaking is necessary, but I'm looking for some numerical guidance. E.g., equalize so that the spectra below 200 Hz is X dB down from midrange peaks or whatever.

Jack K8ZOA