Joe,
I find the spectrum scope to be very useful in the an SO2R situation. For example, at home I use a K3 as my normal run radio and a 756 Pro2 as a second radio. The K3 is a much better run radio mostly because of its much superior receiver performance. OTOH, the spectrum scope on the Pro2 is very helpful in trying to find band openings, locating activity on a quiet band, looking for bare spots on a crowded band, etc. The visual display is a more efficient way to get this information than by turning the knob and relying on your ears. I'm looking forward to trying LP-Pan in the future to add that facility to the K3.
 73, andy, ae6y
----- Original Message ----- From: "jmalloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 - first impressions

I agree with the OP as far as the K3 goes and have no experience of the Icom 7800, but I have yet to get a concrete example of the things a "spectrum scope" can do. Does anyone know what is it about it that you *can't* do with the K3 as presently outfitted? I know about LP-Pan and all, so my sincere question is: _why_ is it so important? I throw this question out to the group!

73,

Joe, W2RBA

I find it to perform as well or better than my IC-7800 in many areas. If I had to choose between getting two fully loaded K3s or a 7800, hands down, Elecraft wins. There are however a couple of things I like better about the IC-7800:

  1. The spectrum scope and display