For those that might be ibnterested....

FWIW - Using a KX-1+KXAT1, I'm trying to find a way to adapt the
(standard?)
~26ft wire with 16ft counterpoise to work on 3.55Mhz...

Here's what I've been thinking...

I was initially considering modding the internal KAT1 toroids. The trick
there would be to get the three toroids to cover the whole KX-1 range.. the
probable outcome would not being able to get below an SWRof 2:1 or 3:1
on many frequencies with the existing antennae
.
But I remember (when I was G3UTY)  being mobile in London, UK  on
160M with 10W. We used center-loaded
8ft whips. Very large inefficient coils but we still managed to work the
european continent...

So here's the situation, as I see it, looking at efficiensy and current/voltage
distribution;  and bearing in mind that, typically, most /P is done with 25-
40ft of wire.

1) End loading with L+C is probably out due to exremely high voltages and
also that's the end needed to hang the wire in the trees/fishing rod/etc... it
is
still a possibilty.

2) Center loading with L only would be the next best. Middle range voltages
and current but it would mean hanging a small weight in the middle of a
length of (usually) very light wire. Might not be a practical solution..

3) Bottom loading which, in this case, is at the KX1 BNC connector....
This gives the L minimum voltage with high current but also has the lowest
radiation efficiency. Hanging an extra bit of weight on the BNC connector
might not be such a good idea! So perhaps a short length of RG174 which
connects to the L (or an LC) circuit would be the best idea but /P operators
might
not appreciate carring an extra bit of wire in their Go pack!

4) Adding a coil to the counterpoise... in effect making the KX-1 directly
feeding an OCF ---- needs more thought  ;^-|

Any opinions?? Thoughts? Suggestion??
Ooops, better careful answering the latter  <Grin>

--
Dave G.   KK7SS
'65 MK III Sprite in Richland, WA

If life begins at 50, why am I falling apart ?!