I do something similar but I use Outlook at work and use google sync.
That way anything I enter into my PDA or at work gets copied into my
google calendar and then also pushed to all other devices.  I have my
home laptop using evolution in linux tied to google as well.

This allows me to enter any calendar event into my phone or work or home
computer and one entry then automatically updates all locations.  Then
also my wife has a google calendar and we have ours shared to allow for
the same thing you mentioned.  I've got all this under my own personal
domain which google hosts for me and provides all of the gmail service
(yet under my own personal domain name) and they provide all of these
services (including hosting) at no charge.

~Brett (KC7OTG)